Wentz 'understood' Eagles' decision to draft Hurts

94WIP Staff
May 04, 2020 - 1:17 pm
Categories: 

Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz spoke with the media on Monday afternoon, and as expected, the main topic was the team’s decision to draft quarterback Jalen Hurts with the 53rd overall pick in the 2020 NFL Draft. 

"It didn't really concern me," Wentz said when asked about his initial reaction to the Eagles selecting Hurts with their second-round pick. "My reaction was kind of understood. I had a feeling there was a chance they would draft somebody, just given the way our roster is laid out and trying to get younger and stuff. There was no concern for me, the team showed they are invested in me last year. I have nothing but confidence and faith in them and they have nothing but confidence and faith in me. I think it's all about strengthing that position and this group we have. If I were to start questioning Howie and the management now, I would really be questioning myself.

"With Jalen, I'm excited to add him to the team," Wentz continued. "I know how important the quarterback position is and how important the dynamic is for me and for the other guys in the rooms. I've been blessed over the years, to have some incredible -- not just quarterbacks, but incredible humans and friends in that quarterback room. We really endure a lot together and go through together. I've heard nothing but great things about Jalen, the kid he is, the player he is. I got a chance to talk to him briefly. I'm excited to add him to the fold and create a really good, healthy, competitive, challenging environment for all of us."

There is plenty of speculation about Wentz potentially sharing the field with Hurts for a few snaps per game. Wentz says he'll do whatever it takes to win. 

"We'll see how that all plays out," Wentz said. "We haven't gotten too deep into the playbook and how things are gonna look. But for me, whatever is gonna help us win. Whatever that takes, whatever that looks like, I'm all for. I would never dive into too many details of the trade secrets that maybe coach is working on as we speak."

It has been a little over week since the Eagles shocked the world by using their second-round pick on Hurts, and since the selection, there has been almost non-stop debate amongst fans as to why the pick was made. Although the Eagles have insisted it had nothing to do with their commitment to Wentz, that hasn’t stopped the speculation as to whether they are still planning on him being the quarterback for years to come. 

General manager Howie Roseman has acknowledge that the pick had to do with needing to protect the team from Wentz suffering an injury, emphasizing how important they believe the backup quarterback position is. 

Roseman also admitted that it wasn’t especially easy to call Wentz and tell him about the possibility of selecting Hurts. 

"Well, it's not comfortable because I get it," Roseman said last week to Angelo Cataldi and the 94WIP Morning Show. "What helps the team the most at this moment? Probably a different player at a different position because we have a great player there, but my job is different. When we make these kind of decisions I talk to people that I really trust and that I've always relied on that have won world championships and I say, 'This is my thought process. I've gotta do everything I can to make sure Carson Wentz is standing on that podium holding that trophy.' And it's funny when I say that, I see it man. I see it. I see him doing that. And I really believe that that's gonna happen.”

Hurts also joined the 94WIP Morning Show last week and said he's excited to work with Wentz. 

"I will be sorrounded by a great quarterback in Carson, great coaches," Hurts said. "It's an opportunity for me to learn. I'm here to serve this team in any way I can, just take steps at the quarterback position. I'm excited for it."